I am sharing here how to get SSS number and what are the requirements. Getting SSS number is the first step to be a member of the SSS. If you work in the Philippines and you are employed in a private company, it is mandatory to be a member of SSS and pay monthly contributions. If you are a kasambahay or household service worker, it is also advisable to be an active member of SSS. If unemployed, you can also become a member of SSS by being a Voluntary Member. Even drivers join the SSS via AlkanSSSya Program.
UPDATE: You can now Apply or Get SSS Number Online
SSS also known as Social Security System in the Philippines is so important not only in social security but also for retirement. It gives benefits like maternity benefits, sickness, disability, loans, funeral, retirement and a lot more. To become eligible for benefits, you must maintain your active membership with SSS and maintain your contributions. As of now, the minimum contribution in order to be eligible for retirement pension is 120 months.
To avail the other benefits, maintain an active membership by paying monthly. Also never miss a month to avoid penalties.
Requirements in getting SSS Number
Take note that SSS Number is different with SSS ID Card or UMID. SSS Number is the per-requisite to be an SSS member. To get this number you need:
- SSS E1 Form – fill this out properly and correctly (Download it here)
- Birth Certificate – original and photocopy
- Valid IDs or any among the list of supporting documents – original and photocopy
- An email address for your SSS online account
Procedure in getting SSS Number
- Fill up your personal details and information on the SSS E1 form. You can get the form at the SSS branch near you. You can also download it online if you want.
- Fall in line at the SSS branch near you and wait for your turn. Submit your E1 form and attach your photocopies of valid IDs and birth certificate.
- Wait for your personal copy of E1 form. SSS will issue your SSS Number at the upper part of E1 form. Keep this for life because it is so important. Never lose it because we can only have ONE SSS Number for life.
Once you have been issued an SSS number, you must contribute and pay your contributions once you’re employed or registered as employed, voluntary, OFW or household service worker or whatever your current status is. Having SSS number does not mean automatic coverage and eligibility to benefits. You need to be an active member and you need to meet SSS requirements for coverage.
Remember, keep your SSS number because you are not allowed to get another one again. If you lost your number or you can’t remember it anymore, verify it at the SSS.
SSS Number for Employers
If you are an employer, you must submit all the documents in registering as employer together with the list of your employees. SSS will issue you your SSS employer’s number and certificate and will assist and teach you in employees SSS matters such as submitting R3 reports.
Disclaimer: I’m not affiliated with SSS. This post is for sharing of experience purpose only. If you have personal questions and inquiry with your SSS account, contact the SSS branch that handles your membership.
Do you have your SSS number already? Did you get it fast and easy? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Related post you must read: