Japan Tourist Visa Requirements for Filipinos

How to get a Japan tourist visa in the Philippines? Filipinos love to travel and Japan is definitely listed on their wanderlust. Definitely cannot miss a Tokyo drift. If you want to apply for a tourist visa in the Philippines to travel Japan, you must prepare the requirements listed below. Recently, everyone was thrilled of the great news about the 3-year and 1-year multiple entry temporary visitors’ visa the Japanese embassy is now offering to eligible Pinoys. I am sharing the requirements for the multiple entry visa too.

japan tourist visa requirements philippines

CC BY Xiquinhosilva Flickr

Visa application and processing is done via agencies accredited by Japan Embassy in the Philippines – meaning the applicant doesn’t need to go to the embassy anymore except when there is a request such as a personal interview by a consul. Usually, Filipinos applying for a temporary visit visa in Japan are required to apply through these agencies except those that are required for direct application such as: diplomatic visa, invitation by Japanese government, education and cultural exchange program, scholarship sponsored by Japan, joint venture or member of Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry in the Philippines, humanitarian related cases and custody cases of Japanese child.

Japan Tourist Visa Requirements in the Philippines

If you are a Filipino tourist planning to visit and travel the beautiful Land of the Rising Sun or you are visiting a friend or a distant relative, you must prepare the following original documents. Make sure these documents are latest and are valid.

  • Passport (with at least 2 blank pages)
  • Visa application form (download it here and fill it out correctly)
  • 4.5cm x 4.5cm photo with white background (to be attached on the application form)
  • NSO Authenticated Birth Certificate
  • NSO Marriage Certificate (if married only)
  • Daily Schedule / Itinerary in Japan (TAIZAI NITTEIHYO)
  • Photos or documents to prove relationship (if you are visiting a friend only)
  • Latest Bank Certificate / Bank Statement
  • ITR Form 2316 (Income Tax Return) – original and photocopy
  • *Invitation Letter from a Guarantor in Japan with handwritten signature (not needed if you’re on a package tour)
  • *Residence Certificate of your Japanese Guarantor (only if you have a friend in Japan who will support your living expenses in your travel)
  • *Guarantee Letter (only if you have a guarantor/sponsor)
  • *Income Certificate (from City Hall) (SHOTOKU SHOMEISHO) from City Hall, Tax return certificate (NOUZEISHOMEISHO: form2) from Tax office, KAKUTEISHINKOKUSHO HIKAE or Bank Certificate (YOKIN ZANDAKA SHOMEISHO)


The last 4 requirements are optional and are applicable only if you have a guarantor or sponsor in Japan. To know more about your situation, just phone your local agency. You may also submit additional documents to support your application and visa processing – to prove economic and social ties with the Philippines, medical certificate, wedding invitations etc.

How much is Japan tourist visa fee?

As of now, it’s “gratis” meaning once your visa is approved and granted, it’s free. Yay! However, you may need to pay some fee on the agency where you have processed your application, around P2,500 or more.

What if your visa was denied? Can you apply again?

If your visa was refused and denied, you can apply again after 6 months.

Visa Application Procedure:

You must be there at your chosen accredited agency early in the morning around 7am because schedule of acceptance of applications starts only from 8:40 to 9:40 a.m. weekdays. Assuming you have all your documents and requirements prepared and your visa application was filed, you’ll be issued a receipt containing the date when you can verify the status of your application. Should there be additional documents requested, they will also be noted in your receipt. Keep in touch with your agency regarding the status of your visa.

3-year or 1-year Multiple Entry Temporary Visitor Visa Japan Requirements

This type of visa can be applied by Filipinos who are:

  • Employed with sufficient financial capacity to support their travel and living expense in Japan
  • Applicants with travel history or with a temporary visit visa in the past 3 years without any law violation during their stay in Japan

Requirements for employed applicants:

  • Passport
  • Application Form
  • Employment Certificate
  • ITR
  • NSO Birth Certificate
  • Valid IDs to prove residence in the Philippines
  • Explanation Letter why you need a multiple-entry visa

Requirements for applicants with previous travel in Japan

  • Passport new or old to prove previous travel in Japan within the last 3 years
  • ITR
  • Bank Certificate
  • Valid IDs or documents to prove residence in the Philippines
  • NSO Birth Certificate
  • NSO Marriage Certificate (if married)
  • Explanation Letter why you need a multiple-entry visa

Wanna say something about tourist visa for Japan? Share your thoughts by commenting or simply like this on Facebook, Twitter and your other networks.


  1. heymart says

    Hi, tanong ko lang nandto q s japan ngayon at 7yrs n q nkatira dto. Gusto ko sana papuntahin gf ko n nasa pinas, sbe ng mga kakilala ko dto eh mhalaga ang sho money ng magaapply, atleast magkano ang kailangan n show money? Thank u

  2. Kaye says

    Hi ,planning to go to sapporo in feb next year with my kids for 5days.I have no ITR kasi housewife lng po ako but every year po kmi nag tatravel ng mga anak ko in asia.i have sufficient fund to cover the travel expences.will we be granted a visa?thank u

  3. Mon says

    Hi Fehl,

    Other that bank statement/certificate, can I also submit my COL Financial certificate showing my stock/equity value to further show them my financial capability and are they gonna consider that?

    Thanks in advance.

    • Fehl says

      They are more into bank certificates. I think there’s no problem submitting additional docs like certificate indicating stocks value to prove you’re financial capacity

  4. Payday says

    Hi. What if ininvite po ako ng japanese friend ko. The visa I need is the 90-day one. Eh ang kaso po, balak ko po nun ay maghanap na ng trabaho sa japan. If maha-hire, I will be able to get working visa. Eh ang concern ko po, ano po kaya ang effect nun sa japanese friend ko na naginvite sa akin? Mabablack list po ba sya?

  5. Ariel miano says

    Hi sir/madam galing na po ako jan sa nihon almost 4 years na po.balak ko po sana bumalik.as a tourist ano po ba mga papers na kylangan? Then ano po ba yung 15 days visa? Ano din po ang mga papers na ihahanda?

  6. ezra says

    ask ko lng po kc dati ung nag apply aku for 3 months visa nadenied pro complete naman ung requirements ko now apply ulet aku bago ung 15 days lng.. and may work aku now pro wala pa sya minimum so d pa aku nagtax pro may pera naman po aku sa bank and madame aku relatives sa japan na mga citizen na anu po need for 15 days na visa ty

    • Fehl says

      Embassies are really strict when it comes to tourist visa applicants without work or have no close attachment or proof they are coming back to the Philippines.

  7. karen says

    Hi, ask ko lang po kasi my aunt in japan wants me to visit her famly maga-grant kaya if mag-aapply ako ng 3m0s.tourist visa? Aunt ko po mag shoulder ng expenses ko sa japan..tnx in advance

  8. meann rico says

    hi good evening..how if late registered in NSO it will effect to my application as working visa?please i need u’r reply..thanks

    • Fehl says

      Yes, coz NSO usually release certificates around 2-3 months from late registrations. That could cause delay in your application

  9. traveller says

    Hi ! just want to ask if personal appearance is required when applying in an accredited agency for a japanese visa :)

  10. Diana says

    Hi mam
    Ask ko lng po. Ksi gusto pong pmunta ng fiancee ko po dto sa pinas. Tpos sabay na po kming bbalik ng Japan. By the way kkabalik ko lng po dto sa pinas from japan 6 months work po aq dun, january po ako dumating dto. Ano po ba requirements.

  11. Michelle says

    tanung ko lng nag inquire po ako sa embassy about tourist visa sabi po nya sa akin wala na daw visa punta ng Nagoya bakit nong nsa Airport Na ako hind nila ako pina Alis hanapan nila ako visa so hind ba totoo na pwed mag tourist ng walang visa po pls.answer me..

  12. Salve P. Alcantara says

    Ask ko lang kasi sa requirements na birth certificate “Negative Results” from NSO lang yung sa father ko kasi 1942 sya pinanganak wala nang record yung mga ganung year di ba? Pre-war tawag nila.. Kino-consider ba nila yun? Pls reply po.

  13. faye says

    Hi, I just want clear lang po.. My boyfriend invite to visit Japan while he have a business trip there for few days… Can I know the exact requirements I need to pass in the embassy? And I don’t have bank statement but he is the one who will sponsor to all my expenses.. It is OK?

    Please answer me po..
    Maraming salamat

    • Fehl says

      See the requirements in the article above. If he will sponsor your travel, I think Affidavit of Support would help your application

      • Marj says

        Hi! Kanino po isusubmit ng supporter any affidavit? Thank you. I will visit Japan on May, im a government employee but my boyfriend will shoulder the expenses. I just want to be 100% sure that i will be granted a visa, its my first visa application.

  14. RL says

    Hi. Paano po kung walqng ITR? Ipapasyal lang kame ng kapatid kong naging U. S citizen, tapos balak din namin isama yung pamangkin at kapatid namin parehong 12 yrs old lang.

      • bhebs says

        may pinadala kcng mga papeles ung frend ko na japanese gusto nya kc ko mag punta don as a tourist kaso mag tatrabaho ko sa nagoya pano po kaya un mag kakaproblema po kaya ung papers ko yocnagoya?

Leave a Comment: