These are the requirements and procedures on how to get PWD ID Card in the Philippines. There are many benefits given to PWD (Persons With Disabilities) including discounts, educational assistance, tax incentives and many more as you read the list below.
The government implemented the Magna Carta Law for disabled Persons to support, protect, distinguish and recognize the rights of PWD by giving privileges and benefits.
Getting PWD ID card is free and no charge. Also note that this ID expires every 3 years so you need to renew it after 3 years. Same requirements applies for the renewal but recent and latest documents are required.
How to Get PWD ID Card
The caregiver or applicant can go to any of the following offices where he/she resides:
- Office of the Mayor
- Office of the Barangay Captain
- National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA) or its regional counterpart
- DSWD Offices
- Participating organizations with memorandum of agreements with the Department of Health
Then submit the following requirements:
PWD ID Requirements:
- Barangay Certificate (you can get this one from your Barangay Hall)
- Application form
- Two 1×1 ID pictures of the disabled person (this is for the medicine booklet in availing discounts)
- A duly signed clinical abstract and medical certificate signed by any licensed private, government clinic, or hospital-based physician
The application form is called Philippine Registry Form for Persons with Disability ver. 2.0. You can download the form in PDF format on the link I provided above.
Once everything was verified and approved, the forms will be delivered to the Health Officer of the Main City or municipal Health Center. The Health Officer will then fill up a certification form, affix control number and upload the information to the Philippine Registry for PWD that apparently can be downloaded from the Department of Health National Office website.
The Applicant then must bring the duly approved application form and certificate of disability to the City or Municipal Social Welfare Office or DSWD or NCDA for issuance of the identification card.
How long is the process in getting PWD ID?
It is very quick nowadays especially if the doctors from the Health Office are there to issue you the medical certificate. In just minutes, you will be able to get your PWD ID card like this one below.
PWD can enjoy the following benefits:
Persons With Disabilities Benefits:
- At least 20% discount in public railways, skyways and bus fare for the exclusive use or enjoyment of Persons with Disabilities
- 20% discount for all services in hotels and similar lodging establishments, restaurants & recreation centers.
- A minimum of 20% discount on admission fees on theaters, cinema houses, concert hall, circuses carnivals and other similar places of culture, leisure and amusement.
- At least 20% discount for all purchase of medicines in all drugstores.
- At least 20% discount on medical & dental services including (diagnostic and laboratory fees & professional fees of attending doctors in all private hospitals & medical facilities).
- At least 20% discount on fare for domestic air and sea travel.
- Educational assistance to pursue primary, secondary, tertiary, post tertiary, vocational or technical education in public & private schools thru scholarship grants, financial aids, subsidies and other incentives such as books, learning materials & uniform allowance(DEPED).
- Continuation of benefits of GSIS, SSS & PAG-IBIG (previously employed) as the case may be necessary.
- Special discounts (5%) in special programs for Persons With Disabilities on purchase of basic commodities (with guidelines from DTI & DA).
- Provision of express lanes for Persons With Disabilities in all commercial and government establishments.
I want to thank my good friend Mark Alfonso from the DSWD (Department of Social Welfare and Development) in sharing these information for my post here.