SSS Kasambahay Law Requirements and Benefits

After the Kasambahay Law was implemented, all household service workers must now take the opportunity to register and apply at the SSS to enjoy the benefits. The requirements are simple and it’s so easy to apply. Your employer can assist you in applying or you can simply go there at the SSS no problem.

In this page, I’m sharing what I watched from the OCW Forum discussing about SSS Kasambahay Requirements and Registration. Before you apply, you must first know about the law, who are covered by this SSS membership. Who are considered “kasambahay?”

What is Kasambahay Law?

It is also known as “Batas Kasambahay” and according to Republic Act No. 10361, all domestic workers who have rendered at least 1 month of service shall be covered by SSS, Philhealth and Pagibig Fund and be entitled to all benefits provided by law.

Who are considered Kasambahay or House Maid?

According to the SSS and the Kasambahay Law, these are persons who perform domestic work (performed in or for household). These persons include:

  • House maid
  • General house helpers
  • Cook
  • Laundry person
  • Nanny or “Yaya”
  • Gardener
  • Driver

However, persons who only work occasionally and those under foster care arrangement in exchange of house service are not covered.

SSS Kasambahay Requirements


  • Salary or wage under P5,000 – SSS contributions are shouldered solely by the employer
  • Salary or wage P5,000 and above – SSS contributions are proportionately shared by the employer and the domestic worker


Monthly Salary is 4,700 – since it’s below 5,000, your employer will solely pay for the whole SSS contribution which is P530 per month

Monthly Salary is 7,500 – since it’s above the bracket of 5,000, both you and your employer will pay a share of your SSS contributions, in this case: 540 (ER), 250 (EE) for a total of 790 contribution per month

*Note the computation from the example is based from the latest SSS Contribution Table*

SSS Benefits for Kasambahay

As an SSS member, I recommend you always remain an active member no matter what your job and status is to enjoy all the benefits of being a member such as:

  • Retirement Benefits – you’ll be entitled if you’ve reached 120 months of contributions at 60 or 65 years of age
  • Disability Benefit – in case of disability, if completed at least 36 months of contributions prior to disability
  • Sickness Benefit – in case of illness or injury, you may qualify if you’ve contributed at elast 3 months preceding the semester of your sickness
  • Maternity Benefit – for childbirth and miscarriage, you may receive generous benefits
  • Loans – such as salary loans, calamity loan, educational loan and housing loan – you may apply
  • Death and Funeral Benefits – beneficiaries may receive benefits
  • Dependent’s pension if eligible

How can an employer register his housemaid to SSS?

Just fill out SSS Form R1 and R1-A. Let your housemaid fill out a form called E1 and submit copies of her NSO birth certificate or Baptismal Certificate or valid ID like passport. In case the housemaid already have SSS Number, E1 may not be needed.

How can a kasambahay or housemaid register herself in the SSS?

In case the housemaid wants to register personally, just fill out SSS E1 form and submit NSO Birth Certificate or Baptismal Certificate or any acceptable document by the SSS. If the housemaid has already registered before in the SSS or already has SSS Number, just tell SSS so they can update her current status.

How to pay SSS Kasambahay contributions?

sss kasambahay requirementsJust submit SSS Form R5 and pay at the SSS teller. You can also ask your employer to set up ADA (Automatic Debit Arrangement) for you in case you want more convenience. You can also pay thru accredited payment canters, major banks, post office and BancNet online. Remember to pay always on time and know the SSS Deadline of payments.

The employer must submit R3 reports monthly or quarterly together with the copies of R5 or receipts to the SSS. Otherwise, the employer can just do this via e-R3 aka electronic R3 program which is done online. Read about “How to Use SSS R3 Program and Generate File” if you don’t know how.

Disclaimer: I’m not affiliated with SSS. This post is for sharing purpose only. If you have personal inquiry about your SSS account, contact the SSS branch that handles your membership. Thanks and God bless!


  1. says

    It is about time to protect the rights of maids or servants or whatever word they are called. It is a law long overdue. Who is the author of this law? I will campaign for him in the next election whenever he/she runs for office.

  2. COLLRUF says

    when was the kasambahay law actually started?

    I was about to pay my arrears for my househelp for the whole year of 2012.
    Her salary is P1,500 per month and I am paying SSS only P166 per month (all shouldered by me).
    So I thought, I am only going to pay P166+3%penalty of 12 months.

    But when I read about the Kasambahay Law, it says that, I will be paying P530 per month for her contribution.

    My question is shall I continue to pay my supposed to be last years’ payment and penalties
    or shall I start anew with that P530?

    Actually I do think she’s not covered by the Law because she only rendered service to us
    from 6pm until 9pm for six days a-week.

    Gusto ko sana e continue yung P166 per month para sa kanya
    pero sa sahod ko din na nasa minimum wage lang, masyadong mabigat ang P530/mo.

    • says

      If the salary of the house helper is below P5000, SSS contributions will be solely paid by the employer. If P5000 and above, employer and the member will share on the payment

  3. dolly says

    hi fehl,

    our maid has served us for almost 5 years, and we applied her sss number but no id card are there requirements to getting and id card for her? and the employer’s number also has changed so will this also be written in the contributions and passed to the ss office? we started paying ss for household a year after she worked for us w/o passing a contribution.
    i’m only aware of paying household employer and voluntary since that is all i do in the office before from my previous workplace, most of the contributions are done by our employers that includes passing the R3 so i have no idea how to start filling the R3 form and how to pass it. i really need help on this since i’m a newbie about the whole thing and our maid is a hardworker and i don’t want to waste her efforts if she can’t get any benefit for it.

    • says

      It’s ok if she doesn’t have SSS ID card as long as she have SSS Number. She can always get an ID card anyway on her free time. If the employer’s number has changed, report and use the latest one when contributing. Filing R3 report is easy and simple. We have a special page about the steps and instructions in filing and generating R3 reports. Just check it out if you want the complete guide. See it from the related articles about SSS or see those articles tagged as SSS. Have a great day!

  4. lily mendez says

    Hello po mam fehl. Isa po ko kasambahay for 6 years, voluntary sss po ako.starting ko po sa boss ko 4k ngayun po ang salary ko 5k,nag bayad po siya ng sss namin since june 2013 to april 2014 with penalty.ask ko lang po
    Mag kano po ba dapat ang kaltas sakin sa 5k salary ko,plss reply po thanks

    • Fehl says

      if your salary is below 5000, the contributions is shouldered and paid by the employer. If more than 5000, you and your boss will pay for it. See the employee and employer’s share for the SSS contribution at the new SSS Contribution Table listed at the related articles above

  5. mars says

    THANKS for this information.. malinaw n saken na mali ang amo ko.. kasi hindi po nya hinhulugan ang sss ko since last year pa nya ako pina member..nagtatrabaho ako . Sakanya ng 5years na..

  6. jaamms says

    Hi po..need ko LNG help and advice.. pano po kung hindi inaasikaso ng boss ko ung sss ko.. pwede po kayang mag switch nalang ako or mag voluntary nalang.. at least ako na mismo mag asikaso.. pwede kaya un?

    • Fehl says

      It’s your employer’s responsibility to report your monthly remittance to SSS. If they don’t do that, you can file a complaint at SSS. It is your right

  7. Desere Cobacha says

    Gud pm po mam sana matulungan nyo po ako at iba pang kasambahay. Isa po akong kasambahay may philhealth, sss, pag ibig po ako ang problima ko po sss, philhealth lng ang hinulugan nila ung pag ibig nd nila hinulugan. Pumunta po ako ng sss para mag aply ng id pagdating don ang sabi ng sss nd pa nahuhulugan ung sss philhealth ko mag dadalawang buwan mula october 30. ano po ang dapat ko pong gawin sa po ba pwede mag reklamo sana po matulungan nyo po ako

    • Fehl says

      hi! You must check first if they deducted your SSS in your payroll. Then if you’re sure, ask your employer why your contributions are not reported and updated. If you heard their explanation and you’re not satisfied, file a complaint at SSS

      • jessa says

        hello po. ako po ay 7 years ng kasambahay starting ko po 2500. till now ganon parin po ang sahod ko. year 2013 nagdagdag yung amo ko ng 500 para daw sa sss ko. kya till now 2500 prin sinasahod ko. tama po ba ying ginagawa nila. hanggang ngayon hindi nadadagdagan yung salary ko.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>