After the Kasambahay Law was implemented, all household service workers must now take the opportunity to register and apply at the SSS to enjoy the benefits. The requirements are simple and it’s so easy to apply. Your employer can assist you in applying or you can simply go there at the SSS no problem.
In this page, I’m sharing what I watched from the OCW Forum discussing about SSS Kasambahay Requirements and Registration. Before you apply, you must first know about the law, who are covered by this SSS membership. Who are considered “kasambahay?”
What is Kasambahay Law?
It is also known as “Batas Kasambahay” and according to Republic Act No. 10361, all domestic workers who have rendered at least 1 month of service shall be covered by SSS, Philhealth and Pagibig Fund and be entitled to all benefits provided by law.
Who are considered Kasambahay or House Maid?
According to the SSS and the Kasambahay Law, these are persons who perform domestic work (performed in or for household). These persons include:
- House maid
- General house helpers
- Laundry person
- Nanny or “Yaya”
However, persons who only work occasionally and those under foster care arrangement in exchange of house service are not covered.
SSS Kasambahay Requirements
- Salary or wage under P5,000 – SSS contributions are shouldered solely by the employer
- Salary or wage P5,000 and above – SSS contributions are proportionately shared by the employer and the domestic worker
Monthly Salary is 4,700 – since it’s below 5,000, your employer will solely pay for the whole SSS contribution which is P530 per month
Monthly Salary is 7,500 – since it’s above the bracket of 5,000, both you and your employer will pay a share of your SSS contributions, in this case: 540 (ER), 250 (EE) for a total of 790 contribution per month
*Note the computation from the example is based from the latest SSS Contribution Table*
SSS Benefits for Kasambahay
As an SSS member, I recommend you always remain an active member no matter what your job and status is to enjoy all the benefits of being a member such as:
- Retirement Benefits – you’ll be entitled if you’ve reached 120 months of contributions at 60 or 65 years of age
- Disability Benefit – in case of disability, if completed at least 36 months of contributions prior to disability
- Sickness Benefit – in case of illness or injury, you may qualify if you’ve contributed at elast 3 months preceding the semester of your sickness
- Maternity Benefit – for childbirth and miscarriage, you may receive generous benefits
- Loans – such as salary loans, calamity loan, educational loan and housing loan – you may apply
- Death and Funeral Benefits – beneficiaries may receive benefits
- Dependent’s pension if eligible
How can an employer register his housemaid to SSS?
Just fill out SSS Form R1 and R1-A. Let your housemaid fill out a form called E1 and submit copies of her NSO birth certificate or Baptismal Certificate or valid ID like passport. In case the housemaid already have SSS Number, E1 may not be needed.
How can a kasambahay or housemaid register herself in the SSS?
In case the housemaid wants to register personally, just fill out SSS E1 form and submit NSO Birth Certificate or Baptismal Certificate or any acceptable document by the SSS. If the housemaid has already registered before in the SSS or already has SSS Number, just tell SSS so they can update her current status.
How to pay SSS Kasambahay contributions?
Just submit SSS Form R5 and pay at the SSS teller. You can also ask your employer to set up ADA (Automatic Debit Arrangement) for you in case you want more convenience. You can also pay thru accredited payment canters, major banks, post office and BancNet online. Remember to pay always on time and know the SSS Deadline of payments.
The employer must submit R3 reports monthly or quarterly together with the copies of R5 or receipts to the SSS. Otherwise, the employer can just do this via e-R3 aka electronic R3 program which is done online. Read about “How to Use SSS R3 Program and Generate File” if you don’t know how.
Disclaimer: I’m not affiliated with SSS. This post is for sharing purpose only. If you have personal inquiry about your SSS account, contact the SSS branch that handles your membership. Thanks and God bless!