The Balikbayan Stamp is a One-Year Visa-Free stay given to overseas Filipino (citizens or former citizens) returning to the Philippines, including their non-Filipino spouse and children, provided they enter the Philippines with the “balikbayan”. Meaning, if you are a foreign spouse of the Filipino citizen or a family member, you can also avail the Balikbayan Visa.
Balikbayan Visa Stamp Requirements:
The Former Filipino traveling to the Philippines are required to bring their old Philippine passport or a copy of their Birth Certificate to prove their former citizenship. Family members who are travelling with the “balikbayan” who avail of the One-Year Visa-Free stay must bring the following documents:
- For the Foreign spouse: copy of Marriage Certificate
- For each child: copy of Birth Certificate
- For adopted children: copy of Adoption Papers
Balikbayan Program Benefits:
The Balikbayan Program has amazing benefits for former Filipinos returning home. They include the following:
- Visa-free entry to the Philippines for a period of 1 year for foreign passport holders, with the exception of restricted nationals.
- Tax-exempt maximum purchases in the amount of USD 1,500, or the equivalent in Philippine and other currency, at Philippine Government–operated duty free shops
- Travel Tax Exemption, provided that their stay in the Philippines is one year or less. If their stay in the Philippines exceeds one year, Travel tax will apply to them.
- Kabuhayan shopping privilege allowing tax-exempt purchase of livelihood tools and providing the opportunity to avail of the necessary training to enable the balikbayan to become economically self-reliant members of society upon their return to the country.
For the complete list and terms of the benefits, please see Philippine Law (R.A. 9174)